Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Inspiration




I am currently reading Drinking Coffee Elsewhere by ZZ Packer and it is so damn good it inspired me to write more. Everywhere I turn I'm hearing about blogging so here I am! I found a super cool list of How to blog on Tony Pierce's blog which farther inspired me to GO FOR IT!

All of my favorite authors seem to have one thing in commonPhoto Hosted at Buzznet, they use what Anne Lamott calls in Bird by Bird the one inch picture frame. An example Lamott gives in the book is of the school lunchroom. She gives an eloquently detailed description of the meaning of what was in your lunch box.

Another author I love who seems to use this technique is Barbara Kingsolver. In the beginning of Animal Dreams she gives an incredible paragraph to the description of a mannequin in a window display that knocked my socks off. Every time I pick up one of her books, everything else goes away until I can finish it. I just bought a copy of The Poisonwood Bible from a used book store and I'm afraid to start it because I just have too much to do nowadays. Of course I'm also quivering with anticipation to read it as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home